New to Western?
Get connected with Western technology
Are you new to Western? This checklist will help you access the technology resources you need:
- All new students, faculty and staff are required to Set a Universal Account Password and Configure your Multifactor Authentication Options so you can access:
- Office 365 Email, OneDrive, Groups and more
- Canvas Learning Management System
- Don't know your username? Look it up!
- Connect a laptop or mobile device to the Internet wirelessly
- Access your @wwu.edu email from a Web browser or mobile device
- Save files to OneDrive so you can access them from anywhere
- Learn more about Office 365
- Find out if you need to use our VPN (Virtunal Private Network) to access resources from off campus
- Browse training classes available to faculty, staff and students
- Visit or call the ATUS Help Desk for assistance with all of your technology needs!
Additional Resources for Students and Faculty
- Sign into your Western Zoom account
- Borrow a laptop for the quarter
- Run specialized software from a workstation in one of our computer labs from home
- Get started with Canvas
- The Student Technology Center for training and workshops
- The Center for Instructional Innovation and Assessment
- Computer Labs, Classroom Technology and Equipment Loan
- Video Services
- Digital Media Center
- Microsoft Resources for Higher Ed Students
Additional Resources for Faculty & Staff
Access to shared files, group mailboxes and other shared resources
Faculty, staff and student employees frequently need access to information stored on a secure network drive, group mailbox, SharePoint site, or within an administrative application like Banner. Use the following steps to gain access to shared resources:
- Talk to someone in your department (e.g., supervisor, office manager, the head of the department) to find out what information you need to access. Contact the Help Desk if you need assistance figuring out what to request. It helps if you can provide the name of someone who already has the access you need.
- Ask your supervisor or the head of your department to request this access on your behalf. Again the Help Desk can provide guidance to help you obtain the necessary approvals and access.
- In many cases your supervisor will need to request access for you via email or an eSign webform. You will be notified once your access has been approved and added, and instructions for accessing the information will be provided.
Do you need to create a new shared resource like an email distribution list, group mailbox, shared file storage, or a group web page? The Help Desk can assist you with finding the right tool for the job!
The New Employee Checklist is another resource that may be useful to you and your supervisor.