Panopto Video Management
Panopto is the primary media management tool for video at WWU. Panopto is an easy-to-use, centralized media/video management application that is integrated directly in Canvas to provide video recording, editing, uploads, streaming playback, automated video captioning, and interactive quizzing in one searchable location. Panopto works in tandem with other video tools at Western such as Zoom to improve the user experience.
Panopto manages user permissions via Canvas. When accessing through Canvas, instructors will be "Creators" and students will be "Viewers." If an instructor logs into the Panopto for Western portal prior to activating Panopto Video in any Canvas course, they, too, will be "Viewers."
For faculty to become Creators: Enable the Panopto Video navigation item in any Canvas course via Settings. Thereafter, they will be able to access Panopto via the course or via the Panopto for Western portal.
- Captioning: Videos are automatically captioned upon upload to Panopto. If you have a customized transcription in Screencast-O-Matic that you would prefer to use, it can be downloaded and uploaded to your videos in Panopto. See also: How to edit captions for a Panopto video in the editor
- How to manage permissions and share Panopto videos
- How to bulk move videos in Panopto (WWU video)
- How to copy and move a video from one folder to another in Panopto
Panopto’s integration with Canvas manages the permissions for your videos via:
- Automatically creating folders on your Panopto account for each Canvas course where Panopto is enabled.
- Students get “viewer” access while teachers get “creator” access.
- As creators, teachers can create videos by recording or uploading to the folder.
- As viewers, students can see all videos inside the course folder—unless the teacher changes the access settings on each video.
- Allowing you to embed videos anywhere in Canvas content.
- As creators, teachers can select any video as long as the user has creator access to it; it can be outside the course folder (noted above). This option is easier to manage long term as courses get imported into future quarters.
- See: How to Embed Panopto Videos in a Canvas Course
The Panopto integration with Canvas offers additional features that benefit both faculty and students:
- How to Access Panopto in a Canvas Course
- How to Find and View Panopto Recordings in Canvas
- How to allow students to record in Panopto (WWU video)
- How to Create a Video Assignment in Canvas (and for students: How to Submit a Video Assignment in Canvas)
- How to Use a Panopto Quiz as a Canvas Assessment
Support for Former Screencast-O-Matic Users
Screencast-O-Matic at WWU will no longer be a supported product as of June 2021; however it will remain accessible for one year to allow users to transition to Panopto.
- Migrating Screencast-O-Matic (desktop videos) to Panopto
- Migrating Screencast-O-Matic (web videos) to Panopto
- Organizing your imported Screencast-O-Matic videos
To get started, check out our Panopto 101 Self-enroll Canvas course.
Panopto Online Documentation:
- Panopto Help Documentation
- Panopto Help Documentation related to the Canvas Integration
- Panopto video tutorials
- Pre-recorded "Basic Training" webinar