We recommend the Outlook app from Microsoft.
- If you don't have Outlook for Android installed, download it from the Google Play Store
- Open the Outlook app, swipe through the introductions, and then tap Get Started
- Select the mail account you want to add: Office 365
- Sign-in as email@example.com and enter your universal password.
- To learn more about using Outlook for Android, see Frequently asked questions about Outlook for iOS and Android. This FAQ explains the Focused Inbox and how to switch to a single Inbox if you prefer to disable this feature.
You can configure the native Android Mail app to connect to your Office 365 email, calendar, and address list. Android devices vary by device type and Android version. You may need to consult the online Help for your device to determine the location of these settings, but the same server name and username formats should apply. If you would like assistance, bring your device by the Help Desk in HH 123 and we will configure it for you.
To configure the native mail and calendar apps:
- Tap SETTINGS > Accounts > Add Account > Email.
- Type firstname.lastname@example.org and your password, and then select Next.
- Select Exchange account. This option may be named Exchange ActiveSync on some versions of Android.
- Enter the following account information and select Next.
Domain\Username Type email@example.com in this box. If Domain and Username are separate text boxes in your version of Android, leave the Domain box empty and type firstname.lastname@example.org in the Username box.
Note: On some versions of Android, you must use the domain\username format. If the credentials above do not work, trywwu.edu\email@example.com
Password: Enter your Universal Password
Exchange Server: Enter outlook.office365.com
- As soon as your phone verifies the server settings, the Account Options screen displays. The options available depend on the version of Android on your device. The options may include the following:
Email checking frequency The default value is Automatic (push). When you select this option, email messages will be sent to your phone as they arrive. We recommend only selecting this option if you have an unlimited data plan.
Amount to synchronize This is the amount of mail you want to keep on your mobile phone. You can choose from several length options, including One day, Three days, and One week.
Notify me when email arrives If you select this option, your mobile phone will notify you when you receive a new email message.
Sync contacts from this account If you select this option, your contacts will be synchronized between your phone and your account.
- Select Next and then type a name for this account and the name you want displayed when you send e-mail to others. Select Done to complete the email setup and start using your account.
Note: You may need to wait ten-to-fifteen minutes after you set up your account before you can send or receive e-mail. If you are not able to connect to your account, make sure SSL is enabled.
IMPORTANT: You may be prompted to enter a passcode for your device if it does not have one. You can choose a simple 4-digit passcode or a more complex password. If you use a finger-swipe to unlock your device, you will need to change to a passcode. iOS7 does support more complex passcodes if you would prefer something more secure than a 4-digit code. This passcode is for your device only. It is not linked to your Western computer accounts, but we do require that you protect your device with a passcode if you want to use it to access your Western email.
More Office 365 Apps!
Microsoft offers many apps that work with your Western Office 365 account. Always sign in as firstname.lastname@example.org and enter your Western universal password. Here are some of our favorites. We did not link directly to the Google Play Store because the links sometimes change.
- OneDrive for Business
- Office Delve
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft OneNote
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Skype for Business
- Office Lens
- Outlook Groups
- Office 365 Video