This page serves as the launch point for migrating a group/area to Teams voice service. Departments that have not yet migrated will receive emails the week of October 19th informing them of their scheduled migration dates.The schedule is as follows (all dates are 2020):
|Cohort Group||Migration Date||Cut-off Date||Pre-Training Date||Post Migration Q & A Date|
More information about the Teams Voice Migration project and the Teams Software (including a flowchart of a typical call queue setup).
What do I need to do to prepare for migration to Teams Voice?
- Migrate to the most current available version of Office 365.
- Acquire audio equipment to support using Teams services (USB headset and microphone are generally preferred) for each person in the participating group .
- Designate at least one point of contact to assist with communication, information, and testing.
- Prepare for the migration by viewing the training materials.
- Prepare for accessing Teams by ensuring you have the Teams Client installed (desktop client strongly recommended). The Teams client is available on Android and IOS. Alternatively you can access Teams through Chrome or Edge for full functionality.
- Optional: Attend the real time training. You will receive an invitation prior to your migration date.
- If you are working on campus using a desktop phone. Please see the "Note" in the next section.
What else do I need to know about Teams and the migration process?
Phone extensions are generally of two types, which we will determine during the intake process:
- Standard - Any extension/person with non-complex needs (i.e., a phone number and voice mail)
- Complex - Any extensions requiring advanced handling such as operating hours, holidays, multiple agent monitoring, menu navigation, or other special call routing needs.
For complex numbers, the technicians performing the migration require specific information about customer preferences, processes, and responsibilities. We have created a form to assist in this process, but it can get complicated, so some additional communication may be necessary. The designated departmental representative will fill out the complex questionnaire for each complex phone extension being migrated.
Any ‘agents’ (people assigned to monitor other extensions) must be migrated prior to or along with that extension.
Only calling is impacted during the migration. Teams channels, chat, files, and calling from Teams to Teams (i.e. calling your colleagues) will continue to work.
There are some extensions we are unable to migrate at this time. Job positions that are unoccupied cannot be moved as the licenses/extensions are tied to a user ID. We are also not moving conference rooms or analog devices (such as elevator phones, emergency phones, faxes, or modem lines).
It should also be noted that areas migrating would benefit from changing from thinking of extensions tied to a location to being tied to an individual or purpose, as many/most Teams calling functions can be done regardless of a persons location, which is a substantial advantage.
NOTE: Older analog/PBX phones will no longer function and should be surplussed (you can coordinate with Telecom or Central Services to arrange phone pickup). Desk phones that work independently of a computer (VOIP/network phone) are not currently supported for Teams Voice except when necessary for emergency use, safety, and accessibility. Supported Teams Voice devices for general use include the following:
- USB or wireless Bluetooth headsets
- Built-in or USB microphones, speakers, and web cameras
- Smartphones capable of running the Teams app
See the Teams Enterprise Voice Device Recommendations to help guide you regarding Teams voice equipment purchases. If you currently have an life/safety emergency phone or accessibility need, please contact email@example.com.
What else do I need to know?
If you are the designated 'point person', fill out the complex questionnaire for each 'complex' number for which you are responsible. Further dialogue will be needed If there are any discrepancies or missing information.
Once the preparations are complete, the numbers will be migrated on their selected date, during which time the extensions will be unavailable.
Post migration, your department/area should perform testing to ensure everything is set up correctly.
Voicemail will be retained, but will not migrate to Teams.
- For Skype for Business users, you will continue to be able to access previous voicemail. All new voicemail will be accessed via Teams.
- For PBX (old phone system) users, you can check your previous voicemail by dialing into 360-650-7444, and new voicemail via Teams. Teams voicemail is all software based, so there will not be a phone number to dial into to retrieve your new voicemail.
- Call Group Voicemails will now go to a new Office 365 group. Any voicemails after the conversion will end up in an Office 365 mailbox named in this convention: vm–DepartmentalName VM. Instructions are at Finding Voicemail for a Departmental Group and forwarding Voice Mail to a different Mailbox
In preparation the migration, we will upgrade your Microsoft license in Office365 to enable voice calling within Teams. There may be additional options within Office365 with the upgraded license, however, it does not activate calling immediately.
One new feature of note, is the addition of a dial-in number for participants in a Teams meeting. When you create a new Teams meeting a dial-in number will automatically be created. When creating an Outlook meeting, make it a Teams meeting and the dial-in information is included in the Teams link information.
If you are part of a call group, once you have opened Teams you are automatically signed in to receive calls, including receiving calls as part of a Call Group.
If you cover a department phone number and work shifts, please attend to your sign in status (see instructions).
Once signed out, you will need to then sign in again to receive calls.
Instructions: Signing into a Call Queue
If you transfer a call to a different department, you will need to dial the 10 digit number (ie:3606503600)