Our students, faculty and staff are now able to more easily collaborate with one another using Office 365. Students were previously in a separate Office 365 environment that did not offer all of the features and functionality of the Office 365 environment that faculty and staff enjoy. Now all of us will be able to share the same tools.
The benefits of a single Office 365 environment
With a single Office 365 environment, everyone in the Western community will have access to the same Office 365 tools, and everyone will be able to collaborate with each other regardless of whether they are student, faculty or staff.
- Students will gain the ability to access their Office 365 accounts from more desktop and mobile applications. For example, a student will be able to open Microsoft Word in a campus computer lab, save a file directly to their Office 365 OneDrive, and share that document with their instructor. The instructor can add comments to the document, and the student can then access that document and the comments using Word from a computer, tablet, or even the free Word app on their smartphone!
- Easier file sharing with OneDrive for Business – Faculty and staff can already share files from OneDrive with students, but it will be easier when students are in the same Office 365 environment, especially when there is a need to share something with a group that includes both faculty and students.
- Office 365 Groups – Faculty and staff have created more than 200 Office 365 Groups where they can share files, notes and group email conversations. Students will be able to participate in these groups (private groups require approval to join) and students will also be able to create their own groups.
- Yammer - Students will be able to participate in Western's social network
- Calendar Sharing - It will be possible for students and faculty or staff to share calendars with each other.
- Access to Office 365 Class Notebooks - Class Notebooks are a new type of shared OneNote notebook that can be integrated with Canvas. Students must be in the @wwu.edu Office 365 environment to access these notebooks.
- The ability to sign into TechSmith Relay without requesting an account. This tool for recording and sharing presentations currently requires students to request access using an eSign Webform.