Free Microsoft Software Program for Students is Expiring
Active WWU students currently have two ways to download Microsoft software:
- Microsoft Office 365*
- Microsoft Students Advantage (OnTheHub by Kivuto)
The Microsoft Student Advantage program is expiring June 30, 2018
*Current students can still use Microsoft Office 365 to download and license Office 365 applications for free.
|Current Student Options for Downloading Microsoft Office|
|Microsoft Office 365||Microsoft Student Advantage|
|How it Works||
|What happens when you leave Western||
How to get your software
Option 1: Microsoft Student Advantage Program
To download Windows or Office before June 30, 2018
- Go to Western's Online Store
- Click Sign In
- Sign in with your Western credentials (firstname.lastname@example.org) or if you haven't created an account, select Register and create an account using your WWU email address.
- Select your free product(s). Note: for a small fee, you may have the option to purchase a physical backup.
- Complete the checkout process.
- Place your order.
- You will receive a confirmation email.
- Order and Download details will be in Account/Orders. Clicking on the View Details button will give you download links and Product Keys. Be sure to download your software on the computer you wish to install the software on and be sure to keep your Products Keys in a safe location. Don't forget to read the Basic Access Guarantee information!
Important information to remember:
- Once the Windows or Office software is downloaded, it must be activated with the product code provided in your order details. If not activated, the software installs as a 30-day trial.
- This software can be installed on one computer.
- Office 2016 requires signing in with a Microsoft Live ID. You can use a Microsoft ID that you already have or create one. This is not your WWU student ID or email address.
Kivuto Systems provides download and installation assistance for the Microsoft Student Advantage program. For assistance:
- in the Online Store, click the Help link in the top left corner
- email email@example.com
- call Kivuto Technical Support at 1-888-396-1447 or 613-526-2881
Option 2: Office 365 for Students
Thanks to Western's campus agreement with Microsoft, Western students can download and install, free:
- Microsoft Office 2016 for Windows
- Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac
This software is available and licensed as long as you have a valid WWU student email. Note: To keep your free license activated, you need to launch at least one Office application (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) at least once every 30 days on each device.
To install Microsoft Office on up to five laptop or desktop computers:
- Login to Office 365 through myWestern or mail.wwu.edu
- If you login through myWestern you should see the "Install Office" button in the upper right corner. If not, choose Settings (gear icon in the upper right) > Office 365 > Software
- Click Install to download and install the software
The software will be installed on your computer. Your copy of Office will remain active as long as you maintain your status as a student. Once you graduate or leave the university, you will have the opportunity to keep using the software by paying for a license directly from Microsoft.