G Suite accounts have been added for all faculty, staff and students. You can now sign-in using the button below. Enter your firstname.lastname@example.org and your WWU universal password.
G Suite accounts are optional tools, offered for academic use, in addition to Office 365, enabling access to Google Drive, Docs, and other applications. Your G Suite account does not replace Outlook email, contacts, calendaring or OneDrive, but instead provides additional tools that may be helpful for personal productivity and instruction.
- Please note that while ATUS will make our best effort to provide support, we have no enterprise support agreement with Google.
- G Suite is not recommended for files that have HIPAA, FERPA, or Personally Identifiable Information (PII) because the university does not have an agreement in place with Google regarding sensitive data. Storage of such files would be in violation of the University's compliance with these standards.
- Not recommended for storing files that belong to a department or group. Microsoft Teams, Office 365 Groups, and SharePoint are the fully supported shared storage locations in the cloud.
Note: Many students, faculty and staff are already using a consumer version of the G Suite in support of Western activities. If you have an account tied to your @wwu.edu address, you will go through a process of renaming that consumer account when we enable the G Suite.
Frequently Asked Questions
What core applications are currently available?
- Google Drive syncs your Google Docs with your computer. You can use it to store and share most types of files easily with others, including files over 25MB.
- Google Docs helps you share files and let others to view, comment, or edit in real-time collaboration. Docs includes applications for developing word-processed documents, spreadsheets, slide presentations, survey forms, and more.
- Keep: Create, share, and manage notes and to-dos
- Sites: Create, share and publish websites
- Google Groups: Create mailing lists and discussion groups
- Google Photos: Store, edit, and share photos online
- YouTube: Upload, view, and share videos
Who will have access to G Suite?
All current students, faculty, and staff have access to G Suite applications.
When did G Suite become available?
G Suite accounts for students, faculty and staff were created between December 14th and December 17th, 2016.
I already have a personal Google account that I sign-into using my email@example.com address. What happens to my personal account?
Google logins using firstname.lastname@example.org will now redirect from Google to Western's Microsoft sign-in portal for Office 365. One of the features of our agreement with Microsoft allows you to sign into services like Google using your existing WWU username and password. If you previously had a personal Google account using your email@example.com address, you will be prompted to assign a new email address to that account.You will be given the option to assign a firstname.lastname@example.org email address or to create a new personal Gmail address. We have documented this easy process so you know what to expect.
I have a personal Google account that I sign-into using my email@example.com address. What happens to this account?
Google logins using the firstname.lastname@example.org address will not change from being a personal account. These accounts will remain separate personal accounts with a limited and separate storage drive. If you decide to keep this separate account, you may wish to use both by Switching between multiple Google accounts.
What about Gmail, Contacts, or Calendar?
Office 365 will continue to be the primary portal to WWU email, contacts, and calendaring. There are no plans to include Gmail, Contacts, or Calendar.
Can my department request a shared G Suite account?
G Suite apps are offered as an option for faculty, staff, and students to use as individuals. If your group would like a virtual space for collaboration, create an Office 365 Group or a Microsoft Team.
I have multiple Google accounts. How do I switch between them?
Please see "Switching between multiple Google accounts."
What is G Suite's Accessibility
Western Washington University is committed to providing help information and assistance with campus services for all users, including those with accessibility concerns. G Suite accessibility considerations, information for content creators, information for content consumers, alternatives/workarounds, and more can be found on the Google Apps Accessibility page.
What are the benefits of using G Suite?
Quota: Google Drive comes with unlimited storage.
Collaboration: Everyone on our campus now has a G Suite account tied to their university address. As a result, there will be no more guessing if the person on the other end has compatible programs to view, comment and edit your document.
What are the disadvantages of using G Suite?
For limitations and disadvantages for academic use, see File Storage, File Sharing, and Backups.
How much does it cost?
There is no direct cost for G Suite access for WWU students, faculty, and staff.
Who do I contact for support?
Contact the ATUS Help Desk for questions regarding G Suite applications:
In addition, if you have questions regarding how to use Google Apps please refer to the Helpful Links below
- G Suite Learning Center
- Docs Tips
- New time-saving features in G Suite for Education
- Google Drive Help Center
- How to use Google Docs
- How to use Google Sheets
- Get started with Google Slides
- Create a survey using Google Forms
- Create and edit drawings