10-digit dialing is now required for local calls
Starting July 29, 2017, all local calls made within Western Washington will require 10-digit dialing even if you are dialing within the same area code. This impacts numbers in the 206, 253, 360, and 425 area codes.
- Dial 81+areacode+number when dialing out.
- This rule applies to the majority of phones on campus that are on the analog PBX system. Skype for Business Enterprise Voice users do not need to dial "81."
- Reprogram any systems currently programmed with 7-digit dialing (e.g., fax machines, mobile phones, security or alarm systems)
- 10-digit dialing works now, so you can reprogram before July 29th
- Make sure to include your area code when you share your number with anyone
- Long distance calls still require 1 + the 10-digit number
- There are no changes in campus-to-campus dialing or 911
- A new area code is coming to western Washington
- Existing phone numbers will not be changed
If you have questions, please contact WWU’s Enterprise Infrastructure Services at 360.650.3600 or the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission.